Friday, June 7, 2013

Bar Harbo(u)r to Machias

Nancy and I had some quality bonding time on Sass’s porch in the morning before heading out.  I switched out the leaky tube, patched a few outstanding ones, cleaned off some dirt, and oiled up some squeaky parts while listening to music in the sunshine.  While changing a flat by the side of the road is not actually that problematic most of the time, there is a certain luxury to being able to take the time and be overly meticulous.  I  even got to pull out a whack of small pointy things from my tires that had not yet made their way into a tube but might cause problems at some point.  Close to the noon hour, Sass and I loaded Nancy and my gear into her car and, to the tune of some excellent stories from my Bar Harbour host, drove back towards Ellsworth.


Just grand!


                The ride eastward was enjoyable but certainly slow going, especially given my leisurely start time.  Lots of snack breaks, pondering my good fortune of how the previous 24 hours had turned out, and stops to look at the view meant that I was surprised (yet equally not surprised) when it got to be late afternoon and I was still quite far from Machias, home of my friend Maria and my destination for the evening.  I was in Four Corners, debating trying to catch a motorized-vehicle lift in that direction, and decided to give Maria a call to touch base anyhow.  At the mere mention of having reached my ultra-happy-biking-quota for the day, she offered to come get me under the pretence of needing to get groceries.  I was happy to accept and hung around the candy and sticker machines in the warm supermarket until I saw her hop out of a truck. 



                I hadn't seen Maria for a couple of years, but we knew each other from my first years at university where she was just finishing up her degree.  It was wonderful to catch up, make some quiche and blueberry dessert, and just hang out  in her house and talk about adventures yet to come.


Maria holding our masterpiece!

Our attempt at food-blog-style photography

No comments:

Post a Comment